Employment Opportunities at Fair Hills Resort
Fair Hills employs a seasonal staff of about 150 people to help run the resort from May-September. We offer both seasonal summer jobs and seasonal internships. Fair Hills also offers on-site housing for up to 60 staff members.
Fair Hills hires 30-35 international students each summer. International students must have a J-1 Visa and apply through an agency to be accepted as an employee.
For all positions:
- Hiring is done on a rolling basis as applications come in.
- Submit your application ASAP for a better chance of getting your first job choice.
- Applications are accepted beginning September 2021 to July 2022.
- Send questions or request a paper application form by emailing email@example.com
- Paper applications can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: PO Box 6, Detroit Lakes, MN 56502
Each employee plays an essential role at the resort. Each department works together to create a memorable experience for our guests. On average, a full-time employee works about 35-40 hours per week. Schedules vary based on the nature of resort business. We serve our guests in some capacity from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. each day. This requires flexibility among our staff. Fair Hills staff work hard and sometimes schedules can change with little to no warning. To maintain our strong family atmosphere, employees should be particularly conscious of maintaining dress & grooming that reflects a professional, business-like image. We do not allow extremes in clothing, hair, jewelry, or make-up and reserve the right to limit any additional adornments, such as requiring the removal of piercings/the covering of tattoos.
Our employees have a lot of fun, as they work with an energetic staff of over 100 people. Employees also meet many interesting people; the resort typically has 150-250 guests per week. Our employees provide a wonderful service to many people: Making their vacation and relaxation time very pleasurable and memorable (some of our guests have come to Fair Hills for over 50 years). Best of all, they work at a beautiful resort on a beautiful lake in Minnesota.
Room & Board:
We have room for about 60 staff to live at the resort (this is on a first come, first serve basis). Staff housing is $100/week. This includes your cabin, cabin furnishings, utilities, Wi-Fi, parking and resort amenities; 27 holes of golf, driving range, swimming pool, hot tub, sailboats, shuffleboard, Frolf, tennis courts, pickleball courts, basketball court, paddleboats, etc. The resort offers 3 meals per day complimentary to staff who live on-site. A $50 room deposit will be taken from your first paycheck. This deposit will be refunded to you on your last day provided your room passes inspection.
Compensation and Activity Money:
Wages for seasonal staff start at $11.50 per hour. The amount of your wage will depend upon your job and your relevant experience; returning employees may qualify for a pay increase. If the resort decides to extend an offer to you for summer employment, your contract will specify your rate of pay.
Bonus: Some staff will be eligible for our bonus program. A bonus of up to $2.00 for every hour worked can be earned and will be paid on the last paycheck to all eligible employees, provided that they meet certain conditions, e.g., staying through their contract date, above & beyond work, etc. The bonus does not apply to short-term employees (less than 6 weeks or less than 300 hours), Wildflower employees (people working in ground maintenance or the pro shop), or “spring & fall staff”. An additional $1.00 will be added to all hours worked in the housekeeping and dishwashing departments. The bonus is discussed in greater detail in the employee handbook that is sent to everyone we hire.
Contact Tanner at 218-847-7638 or email@example.com if you have any questions.
- Waitrons (Servers)
- We at Fair Hills have found that a family sharing a good meal together is a prime ingredient for a happier vacation. Our dining room staff serves breakfast, lunch and dinner daily to our guests. During our family season (mid-June through August), waitrons generally wait on the same families for the entire week; typically 20-30 people per meal. Must be willing to assist in the kitchen, have a good memory, be able to carry heavy trays, work well under pressure, help others and always be pleasant to our guests. Waitrons work three shifts each day: typically 7:45 am - 10 am, 11:45 am - 2 pm and 5:45 pm - 8 pm. Waitrons must be able to work weekends and holidays as well as weekdays. Waitrons also assist in the kitchen and dishwashing departments.
- Grounds Crew
- The grounds crew is responsible for the outdoor maintenance and set-ups for events. The grounds crews takes care of garbage, laundry, boats, beach and guest request. Experience with lawn equipment, sail boats, speedboats and motors is preferred as is the ability to drive a manual transmission. Must be willing to assist other departments, always be pleasant to our guests, lift heavy objects and take initiative to get tasks done and make the resort look great. Grounds crew work 2 shifts: morning or evening. *Driver's License preferred.
- Recreation Directors
- The recreation staff facilitates activities every day at 9:30 am and 2:30 pm as well as some evenings. There are three recreation groups. The 4-8 year olds, 8-14 years olds, teens and adults. There are 2 recreation directors for the 4-8 year olds, 2 recreation directors for the 8-14 year olds, 1 recreation director for teens and 1 director for the adults. Must have a lot of patience, be enthusiastic, be creative with activities and enjoy being around children. Rec. directors are paid on a salary basis.
- 4-Week Opening Housekeeping Crew
- The opening crew is responsible for opening up the resort for the season in 4 weeks. The duties will includes, but may not be limited to, making beds, vacuuming, washing windows, cleaning bathrooms, dusting and sweeping. The crew works Monday - Friday, from mid-April through mid-May from 8am - 4:30pm. This position could turn into full time summer employment for the right candidate.
- May Only Housekeeping Crew
- This crew is responsible for opening up the resort, taking care of our first few groups and assisting other departments as the resort gets going. The duties will includes, but may not be limited to, making beds, vacuuming, washing windows, cleaning bathrooms, dusting and sweeping. The crew works Monday - Friday, from 8am - 4:30pm. Some weekend work is available in other departments. This position could turn into full time summer employment for the right candidate.
Housing is available for May only employees.
- Dishwashers are responsible for washing all the dishes, silverware, drink ware, pots & pans in the kitchen and dining room. Dishwashers often assist the waitron & kitchen departments as needed. Dishwashers must be able to multi-task, work well in a team, lift heavy objects, be willing to assist other departments and work well under pressure. Dishwashers work three shifts each day; typically 8 am - 10:30 am, 12 pm - 2 pm and 6 pm - 8 pm.
- Store Workers
- The soda fountain in the lobby is staffed from 7:30 am - 10 pm. The soda fountain serves ice cream, malts, pizza, pop, nachos, popcorn, candy etc. Store workers are responsible for serving guests from the soda fountain, general cleaning the lobby, maintaining the gift shop and other guest services. Must possess good organizational skills, have a great personality, converse easily with others, be willing to assist other departments and always be pleasant to our guests. Store workers work 4 shifts: 7:30 am - 3:30 pm, 8 am - 4 pm, 3:30 pm - 10 pm or 4 pm - 10:30 pm.
- Our guests receive a daily maid service from the housekeeping staff. The housekeepers are responsible for maintaining the 100+ units at Fair Hills. Must possess good cleaning skills, work well with others, be willing to help other departments, always be pleasant to our guests, be able to lift heavy objects and must be able to work Saturdays. Housekeepers generally work daily from 8 am - 2 pm. Saturday shifts are usually 8 am - 4 pm.
- Kitchen Cooks
- Our kitchen feeds anywhere from 2-250 daily. There are 3 departments in the kitchen; bakery, salad and prep. Kitchen workers must be able to work well in a team but also work well independently. Previous kitchen experience is preferred. Kitchen workers typically work just a morning shift. Some working a short evening shift as well.
- Event Staff
- During the season Fair Hills hosts numerous extra events; including weddings, banquets and meetings. Our Event Staff caters to these events. Responsibilities include event set-up, serving food & beverages, tear down & clean up and support staff. Event Staff is part-time and mainly available in May & September. Must be able to work Saturdays.
There are many exciting internship opportunities at Fair Hills for the summer season.
- Front Desk
- Food & Beverage
- Kitchen Steward
When applying for an internship, please send a resume along with your completed application.
- The internship to which you apply must relate to your area of study in school
- You must be able to work at least the 10 weeks of Family Season, June 19 – August 26: Preference will be given to applicants who can work Labor Day Weekend and early or later into the season (negotiable)
- You must be able to work weekends & holidays as well as weekdays
- You must be able to work day or evening shifts – weekly schedules are subject to change based on business demands
- 32-40 hours per week
- Pay starts at $12.00 per hour
- Eligible for up to a $2.00 bonus
- Housing available – $100/week – includes cabin furnishings, utilities, Wi-Fi and parking
- Complimentary 3 meals daily to all staff who live on-site
- Access to Fair Hills & Wildflower Amenities; 27 holes of golf, swimming pool, hot tub, tennis courts, pickleball courts, Frolf, sail boats, paddlesboats, etc.
All Internships will focus on the following skills:
- Customer Service
- Promoting a Positive Work & Vacation Environment
- Housekeeping Management: 2 available positions
- Our housekeeping interns will learn how to manage people, schedules, inventory and high standards of cleanliness, care and service. Fair Hills Resort internships are hands-on and provide the experience to both learn and do at the same time. It is our belief that it is crucial for any excellent future manager in the Hospitality Industry to have a good understanding and knowledge base of the housekeeping department. This internship will focus on running, organizing and supervising the housekeeping department and is geared toward a college student who is pursuing a degree in Hospitality & Tourism Management with the goal to one day run a resort or hotel. This student will work directly with our Housekeeping Director who manages a staff of 10-20 that take care of our 100+ cabins daily. This intern will assist in housekeeping board assignments, cleaning the cabins, cabin inspections, coordinate extra cabin rentals (fridges, fans, etc.), train new staff, supervise & schedule staff, and assist in product ordering & inventory. Intern will learn and use our Property Management System, Resort Data Processing (RDP), on a daily basis to run arrivals, reports and coordinate extra cabin rentals. Intern will also be a part of weekly departmental meetings that focus on upcoming business demands, training and follow-up improvements. This internship will emphasize the following skills: efficiently using a Property Management System, staff supervision, and guest relations. As with all positions at Fair Hills, there are opportunities to assist in other departments and cross-train to broaden your understanding and knowledge of the business as a whole.
- Front Desk Management: 3-4 available positions
- The Fair Hills Front Desk is the central hub for all happenings at the resort. The Front Desk handles check-ins & check-outs, billing, reservation inquiries, gift shop sales, activity appointments, customer requests, general office duties, lobby upkeep and day-of event operations, among other duties. Fair Hills Resort internships are hands-on and interns have daily opportunities to interact with guests as well as key business operations. This internship is geared toward a college student who is pursuing a degree in Hospitality & Tourism Management or Business Management. The intern will learn to use our property management system, Resort Data Processing (RDP), as well as our point-of-sale system, GolfNow. Front desk interns interact with guests more than anyone, and must have good interpersonal communication skills, a positive personality, and be quick to learn information important for guests and staff. Front Desk Interns are involved in weekly inter-departmental meetings to go over upcoming events, department responsibilities, training and follow-up improvements. There are also opportunities at the front desk to work with department heads and create specialized projects. For example; Human Resources, Events, Reservations, Bar & Beverages, etc. The Front Desk is staffed from 7:00 am – 10:00 pm daily. There are two shifts for front desk employees, morning and evening. This internship will emphasize the following skills: efficiently using a Property Management System, guest services and guest relations.
- Culinary Arts: 2-3 available positions
- We at Fair Hills have found that a family sharing a good meal together is a prime ingredient for a happier vacation. The Fair Hills kitchen is well-known for excellent meals for our family vacations and events. Our kitchen feeds anywhere from 2-250 people daily. The culinary team does more than just cook, they create the thing that brings our people together to create memories. This internship is geared toward someone with passion for cooking and creating delicious food and for someone who has basic kitchen skills. During peak family vacation season, the kitchen provides anywhere from 200-250 meals three times a day. The kitchen also caters to business meetings, weddings, and special groups throughout the entire season. The kitchen is set-up catering/cafeteria style rather than short-order. Main duties include meal prep, cooking, serving, inventory and cleaning, in all kitchen departments; prep, salad & bakery. As with all positions at Fair Hills, there are opportunities to assist in other departments and cross-train to broaden your understanding and knowledge of the business as a whole. The internship will provide emphasis on the following skills: basic & advanced culinary skills and efficiently running /organizing a full kitchen & staff.
- Food & Beverage Management and Kitchen Steward: 4-5 available positions
- One of the main things that sets Fair Hills apart from its competitors is our meal service. At least one meal is provided in every stay at the resort. Most of our guests enjoy 3 meals daily in our dining room. Our Food & Beverage team oversees all meal services and has the ability to really impact our guests and their vacation experience. This internship is geared toward a college student pursuing a degree in Hospitality & Tourism Management. The interns will work directly with our Dining Room Manager who oversees our kitchen services, dining room, and events that include food & beverage. Fair Hills Resort internships are hands-on and provide the experience to both learn and do at the same time. The intern will assist with scheduling, training, serving, event prep planning and execution, supervising and guest services. Food & Beverage Interns are involved in weekly inter-departmental meetings to go over upcoming events, department responsibilities, training and follow-up improvements. As food & beverage is a part of almost all guest stays, this team is involved in and has exposure to all types of business; vacations, weddings, corporate events, tournaments, public activities, guest activities, etc. As with all positions at Fair Hills, there are opportunities to assist in other departments and cross-train to broaden your understanding and knowledge of the business as a whole. This internship will provide an emphasis on the following skills: organization, ability to multitask, guest services, managing people and daily operations.
- Events Coordinator: 1-2 available positions
- Fair Hills hosts over 65 events each season. Weddings, Reunions, Meetings, Parties, Catering, Retreats, etc. As a full service event venue, we provide the space, set-up, equipment, food & beverage, service and planning service. This internship will focus on the planning and execution of all events hosted at Fair Hills Resort, Wildflower Golf Course, and Five Lakes Resort and is geared toward a college student who is pursuing a degree in Hospitality & Tourism Management, Communications, or Public Relations. The intern will work directly with our Event Coordinator. Both office work and day-of execution duties are required. The goal of the internship is to enable you to be able to run an event from start (booking) to finish (billing & follow-up) with everything in between, on your own. Duties will include, but are not limited to: working with the group contact to plan room rentals, room set-ups, menus, and overnight lodging, as well as execute the day of the event by being the on-site coordinator and facilitate after event follow-up. The intern will learn to use our property management system, Resort Data Processing (RDP), as well as our point-of-sale system, GolfNow. This internship works very closely with the front desk and front office, often sharing duties and assisting there as needed. This internship will provide emphasis on the following skills: organizing detailed events, building business relationships, and executing multi-departmental occasions.
- Recreation: 1-2 available positions
- Fair Hills’ recreation programming is second to none. The activities we facilitate and relationships we build in them are what keep our guests coming back year after year. Our Recreation Staff are the faces of the resort and fully represent our passion and service to our guests. This internship will focus on the planning and execution of daily guest & staff activities and is geared toward a college student pursuing a degree in Recreation Management or Hospitality & Tourism Management or related field. Fair Hills facilitates daily activities for its 150-250 guests. Activities are programmed for different age groups: 4-8 year olds, 8-14 year olds, teens and adults. Responsibilities would include, but not be limited to, organizing trips & activities for staff, planning annual summer events for all staff, facilitating weekly guest events and being an on-site contact for guest activities and events. Intern must have good interpersonal communication skills, a positive personality, and be quick to learn information important for guests and staff. Past recreation directors have built lasting professional and personal relationships with our awesome guests. There is an opportunity for networking as well as working in other departments and cross-training. This internship will provide emphasis on the following skills: organizing detailed events, coordinating large groups, and promoting guest and staff relations.