Employment Opportunities at Fair Hills Resort
*Now Hiring for Summer 2018*
Fair Hills employs a seasonal staff of about 150 people to help run the resort from May-October.
Fair Hills hires 25-30 international students each summer. International students must have a J-1 Visa and apply through an agency to be accepted as an employee.
- Hiring is done on a rolling basis as applications come in.
- Send in your application ASAP for a better chance of getting your first job choice.
- Applications are accepted beginning September 2017 to July 2018.
- Applications should be sent to Caitlin’s attention.
Mail to: PO Box 6, Detroit Lakes, MN 56502
Email to: email@example.com
Each employee plays an essential role at the resort. Each department works together to create a memorable experience for our guests. On average, each employee works about 35-40 hours per week. Schedules vary based on the nature of resort business. We serve our guests in some capacity from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. each day. This requires flexibility among our staff. Fair Hills staff work hard and sometimes schedules can change with little to no warning. To maintain our strong family atmosphere, we do not allow any radical physical appearances at our resort, e.g., body and tongue piercings, tattoos and wild hair colors that would be seen by small children. Our employees have a lot of fun, as they work with an energetic staff of over 100 people. Employees also meet many interesting people; the resort typically has 150-250 guests per week. Our employees provide a wonderful service to many people: Making their vacation and relaxation time very pleasurable and memorable (some of our guests have come to Fair Hills for over 50 years). Best of all, they work at a beautiful resort on a beautiful lake in Minnesota.
Room & Board:
We have room for about 50 staff to live at the resort (this is on a first come, first serve basis). We require room & board to be withheld from your paycheck if you live at the resort. The amount withheld is $12.00 per day. This fee includes 3 staff meals daily. A $50 room deposit will be taken from your first paycheck. This deposit will be refunded to you on your last day provided your room passes inspection.
Compensation and Activity Money:
A few employees will be paid a monthly salary; this will be discussed with them individually. The majority of employees, however, will be paid an hourly base salary starting at $9.65 per hour. The amount of your wage will depend upon your job and your relevant experience; returning employees may qualify for a pay increase. If the resort decides to extend an offer to you for summer employment, your contract will specify your rate of pay.
Bonus: Some staff will be eligible for our bonus program. A bonus of up to $1.00 for every hour worked can be earned and will be paid on the last paycheck to all eligible employees, provided that they meet certain conditions, e.g., staying through their contract date, satisfactory work, etc. The bonus does not apply to short-term employees (less than 6 weeks or less than 300 hours), Wildflower employees (people working in ground maintenance or the pro shop), or “spring & fall staff”. The bonus is discussed in greater detail in the employee handbook that is sent to everyone we hire.
Contact Caitlin at 800-323-2849 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- 4-Week Opening Housekeeping Crew
- The opening crew is responsible for opening up the resort for the season in 4 weeks. The duties will includes, but may not be limited to, making beds, vacuuming, washing windows, cleaning bathrooms, dusting and sweeping. The crew works Monday - Friday, from mid-April through mid-May from 8am - 4:30pm. This position could turn into full time summer employment for the right candidate.
- May Only Housekeeping Crew
- This crew is responsible for opening up the resort, taking care of our first few groups and assisting other departments as the resort gets going. The duties will includes, but may not be limited to, making beds, vacuuming, washing windows, cleaning bathrooms, dusting and sweeping. The crew works Monday - Friday, from 8am - 4:30pm. Some weekend work is available in other departments. This position could turn into full time summer employment for the right candidate.
Housing is available for May only employees.
- Waitrons (servers)
- Our dining room serves breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. During our family season (mid-June through August), waitrons generally wait on the same families for the entire week; typically 15-20 people per meal. Must be willing to assist in the kitchen, have a good memory, be able to carry heavy trays, work well under pressure, help others and always be pleasant to our guests. Waitrons work three shifts each day: typically 7:45 am - 10 am, 11:45 am - 2 pm and 5:45 pm - 8 pm. Waitrons must be able to work weekends and holidays as well as weekdays. Waitrons also assist in the kitchen and dishwashing departments.
- Dishwashers are responsible for washing all the dishes, silverware, drink ware, pots & pans in the kitchen and dining room. Dishwashers often assist the waitron & kitchen departments as needed. Dishwashers must be able to multi-task, work well in a team, lift heavy objects, be willing to assist other departments and work well under pressure. Dishwashers work three shifts each day; typically 8 am - 10:30 am, 12 pm - 2 pm and 6 pm - 8 pm.
- Grounds Crew
- The grounds crew is responsible for the outdoor maintenance and set-ups for events. The grounds crews takes care of garbage, laundry, boats, beach and guest request. Experience with lawn equipment, sail boats, speedboats and motors is preferred as is the ability to drive a manual transmission. Must be willing to assist other departments, always be pleasant to our guests, lift heavy objects and take initiative to get tasks done and make the resort look great. Grounds crew work 2 shifts: morning or evening.
- Recreation Directors
- The recreation staff facilitates activities every day at 9:30 am and 2:30 pm as well as some evenings. There are three recreation groups. The 4-8 year olds, 8-14 years olds and adults. There are 2 recreation directors for the 4-8 year olds, 1 recreation director for the 8-14 year olds and 2 directors for the adults. Must have a lot of patience, be enthusiastic, be creative with activities and enjoy being around children. Rec. directors are paid on a salary basis.
- Store Workers
- The soda fountain in the lobby is staffed from 7:30 am - 11 pm. The soda fountain serves ice cream, malts, pizza, pop, nachos, popcorn, candy etc. Store workers are responsible for serving guests from the soda fountain, general cleaning the lobby, maintaining the gift shop and other guest services. Must possess good organizational skills, have a great personality, converse easily with others, be willing to assist other departments and always be pleasant to our guests. Store workers work 4 shifts: 7:30 am - 3:30 pm, 8 am - 4 pm, 3:30 pm - 10 pm or 4 pm - 11 pm.
- Our guests receive a daily maid service from the housekeeping staff. The housekeepers are responsible for maintaining the 100+ units at Fair Hills. Must possess good cleaning skills, work well with others, be willing to help other departments, always be pleasant to our guests, be able to lift heavy objects and must be able to work Saturdays. Housekeepers generally work daily from 8 am - 2 pm. Saturday shifts are usually 8 am - 4 pm.
- Kitchen Cooks
- Our kitchen feeds anywhere from 2-250 daily. There are 3 departments in the kitchen; bakery, salad and prep. Kitchen workers must be able to work well in a team but also work well independently. Previous kitchen experience is preferred. Kitchen workers typically work just a morning shift. Some working a short evening shift as well.
- Event Staff
- During the season Fair Hills hosts numerous extra events; including weddings, banquets and meetings. Our Event Staff caters to these events. Responsibilities include event set-up, serving food & beverages, tear down & clean up and support staff. Event Staff is part-time and mainly available in May & September. Must be able to work Saturdays.
There are many exciting internship opportunities at Fair Hills for the summer season.
- Front Desk
- Food & Beverage
- Kitchen Steward
- Marketing & Merchandising
When applying for an internship, please send a resume along with your completed application.
- The internship to which you apply must relate to your area of study in school
- You must be able to work at least the 10 weeks of Family Season, June 18 – August 25: Preference will be given to applicants who can work Labor Day Weekend and early or later into the season (negotiable)
- You must be able to work weekends & holidays as well as weekdays
- You must be able to work day or evening shifts – weekly schedules are subject to change based on business demands
- 32-40 hours per week
- Pay starts at $9.65 per hour
- Eligible for up to a $1.00 bonus
- Housing available – $12 per day (includes 3 daily meals)
- Commuter Meals available for $3 per meal
- Access to Fair Hills & Wildflower Amenities
All Internships will focus on the following skills:
- Customer Service
- Promoting a Positive Work & Vacation Environment
Completed Applications or Questions can be send to Caitlin’s Attention: PO Box 6, Detroit Lakes, MN 56502 or email@example.com
- Housekeeping: 2 available positions
- This internship will focus on one of the most important departments in any Hotel or Resort: Housekeeping. It is crucial for any Hospitality Manager to have a good understanding and knowledge of the housekeeping department. This internship will focus on running, organizing & supervising the housekeeping department and is geared toward a college student who is pursuing a degree in Hospitality & Tourism Management with the goal to one day run a resort or hotel. This student will work directly with our Housekeeping Director who manages a staff of 15-20 that take care of our 100+ cabins daily. This intern will assist in housekeeping board assignments, cabin inspections, coordinate extra cabin rentals (fridges, fans, etc.), train new staff, supervise & schedule staff and assist in product ordering & inventory. Intern will learn and use our Property Management System, Resort Data Processing (RDP), on a daily basis to run arrivals, reports and coordinate extra cabin rentals. This internship will provide emphasis on the following skills: efficiently using a Property Management System, staff supervision and guest relations.
- Front Desk: 3-4 available positions
- This internship will focus on running the front desk at Fair Hills Resort and is geared toward a college student who is pursuing a degree in Hospitality & Tourism Management. The front desk of the lobby is staffed from 6:30 am – 11 pm daily. The intern will be responsible for check-ins, check-outs, processing monetary transactions, answering phone calls, re-stocking front desk materials, and assisting guests with questions, concerns and requests. The intern will learn to use our Property Management System, Resort Data Processing (RDP). Each intern will be assigned an area to oversee; soda fountain, gift shop, meeting spaces, staffing, etc. Intern must have good interpersonal communication skills, a positive personality, and be quick to learn information important for guests and staff. Occasionally the intern may be asked to assist other departments when necessary. There are two shifts for front desk employees, morning and evening. This intern will report directly to the Front Office Manager & Reservations Manager. This internship will provide emphasis on the following skills: efficiently using a Property Management System, guest services and guest relations.
- Marketing & Merchandising: 1 available position
- This exciting internship will focus on assisting with the marketing campaigns for all three locations and is geared toward a college student pursuing a degree in Marketing, Communications, Graphic Design or Hospitality & Tourism Management. The student will work directly with our Marketing Director to assist in planning future campaigns and running day to day marketing plans. This intern will assist in setting up, organizing and promoting merchandise in the Fair Hills gift shop and Pro Shop store. The Intern will also assist in promoting the Fair Hills Soda Fountain to daily guests and local residents. The Intern will obtain materials, media and data for future marketing campaigns and help plan those efforts. The intern will learn to use social media to run day to day campaigns for different markets. The intern will also assist at the front desk. This internship will provide an emphasis on the following skills: collecting data, designing promotions, using social media to create and manage campaigns and create media for projects.
- Culinary: 2-3 available positions
- This internship will focus on the exciting world of the Fair Hills Resort kitchen and is geared toward a college student who is pursuing a degree in the culinary arts. Our kitchen caters business meetings, weddings, guests and groups ranging from 20 - 200 people. The Intern will assist our Head Chef in ordering, scheduling and preparing meals. The intern will assist in all kitchen departments; prep, salad & bakery. The internship will provide emphasis on the following skills: basic & advanced culinary skills and running and organizing a full kitchen & staff.
- Food & Beverage and Kitchen Steward: 4-5 available positions
- This exciting internship will provide an understanding of the hospitality industry, specifically in our food & beverage division and is geared toward a college student pursuing a degree in Hospitality & Tourism Management. The student will work directly with our Food & Beverage Director who oversees our kitchen, dining room and events that include food & beverage. The intern will assist with setting up food & beverage stations for all events, supervising the event and other team members, set performance standards for guest service and oversee the guest dining experience. Each intern will be assigned an area to oversee; dishes, guest services, dietary restrictions and off-site catering. This internship will provide an emphasis on the following skills: organization, ability to multi-task, guest services, managing inventories and organizing special orders.
- Landscape Horticulture: 2-3 available positions
- This exciting internship will focus on the outside grounds of Fair Hills Resort and is geared toward a college student pursuing a degree in Horticulture, Agriculture, Landscape Design or Turf Grass Sciences. Fair Hills is a beautiful family vacation site that sits on 40 acres of lakeside beaches, gardens, golf course and cabin areas. This intern would report to the Grounds Crew Manager and be responsible for the planning, scheduling, maintenance & enhancement of the seasonal & permanent gardens & landscapes through weeding, pest control, pruning, planting, mulching, feeding, grooming, etc. The intern would also work with indoor plant displays and water gardening. The intern would maintain records, files & inventory for plants & inventory used in general upkeep. This intern would operate a wide variety of landscape equipment and vehicles. Intern would occasionally assist other grounds maintenance crew members. This internship will provide an emphasis on the following skills: managing inventories and planning & maintaining a landscape design.
- Events: 1 available position
- This exciting internship will focus on the planning and execution of events hosted at Fair Hills Resort, Wildflower Golf Course, and Five Lakes Resort and is geared toward a college student who is pursuing a degree in Hospitality & Tourism Management, Communications or Public Relations. The student will work directly with our Event Coordinator who manages over 50 events each season. Events include corporate events, family reunions, golf tournaments, etc. The intern will not only have the opportunity to learn the ABCs of event planning and execution, but will also be able to network and create working relationships with business professionals. Duties will include, but not be limited to, working with the group contact to plan room rentals, room set-ups, menus, and overnight lodging, as well as, execute the day of event by being the on-site coordinator and facilitate after event follow-up. This internship will provide emphasis on the following skills: organizing detailed events, building business relationships and executing multi-departmental occasions.
- Recreation: 1-2 available positions
- This exciting internship will focus on the planning and execution of daily guest & staff activities and is geared toward a college student pursuing a degree in Recreation Management or Hospitality & Tourism Management. The intern would report directly to both the Recreation Director & Human Resources Director. Fair Hills facilitates daily activities for its 150-250 guests. We also hire around 120 staff for each season, 30 of which are international students from around the world. Responsibilities would include, but not be limited to, organizing trips & activities for international staff, planning annual summer events for all staff, facilitating weekly guest events and being an on-site contact for all events. Intern must have good interpersonal communication skills, a positive personality, and be quick to learn information important for guests and staff. This internship will provide emphasis on the following skills: organizing detailed events, coordinating large groups and promoting guest relations.